Saturday, December 27, 2014

What Can Help Me To Stop Drinking Alcohol?

Young and Healthy in my Teens

40 years later SOBER and Healthy once more writing to help others.

"What can help me to stop drinking alcohol" was a question I asked myself time and time again, and I am very sure millions of alcoholics all over the world ask the same question to themselves.

The problem is that we the alcoholics continue to live in denial even though we want to stop drinking, and know we need to stop drinking, we are not strong enough, or have the willingness to change our life.

When anyone has had alcohol in his/her life for so long it is very hard to just say goodbye to something they love, and something they need in their everyday life.  If you don't drink alcohol you will never know the feeling of letting something go that is a huge part of an alcoholics life.

Getting back to what can help me to stop drinking alcohol.  Well, for me when I thought about stopping drinking once and for all these were the things that helped me to stop drinking alcohol.  I hope some of the statements I make here will help in you to return to a life of sobriety and leave your addiction to alcohol behind.


  1. I sat down (being completely sober) and thought to myself, where is my life headed if I continued to drink and abuse alcohol?  The answer I came up with was I would have bad health and possibly death in my future due to the addiction to alcohol I had.
  2. I looked at my parents, wife and my children and thought how I was not only hurting myself, but hurting the very ones that loved and cared for me. 
  3. I knew my life was going nowhere fast except downhill to rock bottom.
  4. I looked at all the money I spent on alcohol and deprived my family of things just to buy alcohol and support my addiction.
  5. I looked in the mirror and saw a person that didn't look anything like the person I knew years ago.
  6. My mental outlook on life was nothing but negative, and my physical appearance was horrible.
  7. I didn't want to go into a Rehab. Center because I thought I could get sober on my own. (Going cold turkey is what I did , even though it really wasn't a safe way to get and stay sober and I would recommend other alcoholics to look into a Treatment Center to have the Professional help they would need to have a safe and healthy detox, and not do as I did.
  8. I simply got sick and tired of being sick and tired, and knew deep down inside something had to be done to change my life and the lives that loved and cared for me.
I found out in the end there was only one thing that could help me to get and sober, and that was ME.  I was the only person that could help me.  You have to want sobriety so bad in your life you are willing to do anything to make it a reality.

In all honesty leaving my addiction to alcohol behind wasn't all that bad.  Sure it was hard in the beginning.  I thought I was going to go nuts without a drink in my hand, but as time went by everyday got easier, and as the days and weeks went by I began to get a real life back.

Today as I write this I have been clean and sober for over 5 years and I write every night in hope to help others that are suffering from an addiction to alcohol. Take MASSIVE ACTION to make sobriety be a part of your life once more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on this blog. I hope these articles will help those that are suffering with an addiction to drugs or alcohol.